Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sister's Garnish


Many moons back, I was asked, "What special gift would you like for your wedding from your dear sister?"

At that time, even though I was not so young a bride, my cooking skills were still a disaster.

Without much ado, I replied to her, "You could write me a book of your favorite recipes, my dear sister. And thus unravel the mystery of cumin seeds, star anise, fenugreek, green chilies, and coriander.''

 

So was born the idea of 'Sister's garnish,' a book wherein all the lip-smacking gourmet delights would lie.

With this little black book added to my might, I was confident that my culinary future was going to be indeed bright.

 

In my younger days, the kitchen was never really my playground, forte, or battleground for any gourmet foray.

I would enter the arena when all the heavy lifting was done, sit in front of a laid table, and make comments or compliments pay!

 

My sister was a faithful ally for my Aai in the kitchen in those days, and I was happy about it during those carefree days.

This allowed me enough freedom to go out, have fun, and do so without a fuss, saunter, and play.

 

When it was time for me to come back home from play and inevitably, I would be late.

My sis would longingly wait for me, look out for me in vain, and that would make her infuriate.

I was meant to do many things, and I didn't do as the younger sister; she would hate,

With sweet words, hugs, and kisses, I would melt my sister's ire like sugar, jaggery, figs, and dates.


She was and will remain, my confidante, friend, adviser, guide, soothsayer, and devil's advocate.

Her actions and kind deeds would remind me that Priya, you have a lot to learn, my mate!

Such was my life so sheltered by my sister's shadow.

I could get away with almost all, but not my mom and dad's not so friendly banter.

In a way, they would remind me that one day I will have to figure out my way around the pots, pans, spoons, and hot decanters.

 

My relationship with my sister was indeed like Indian garam masala fare.

Sweet, sour, peppery, pungent, and sometimes too hot to bear.

But at the end of it all, it always felt like an enticing aroma that enveloped all the five senses in a warm fuzzy embrace as it went wafting through the air.

 

Her sartorial and creative tastes I would entirely depend upon, even if they were handed me downs, I would not bother and willingly sample.

She was my fashion guru, and I was a willing disciple, I would ape and follow her fashions in her clogs, platforms, or sandals.

 

There were many times when I made some silly mistakes, blunders, and gaffes in my young days.

And then she would invariably bail me out, take my side, stand by me like a rock in many ways!

 

So I say my dear friends that all those loving, sweet memories of long ago still linger in my mind like it happened yesterday.

My sister being in my life makes it whole, warm, and complete, just like a little garnish on a mouth-watering dish, goes a long way.
















No comments: