Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Life....My Project!


In the flurry of everyday activities, we sometimes forget to pause, think and retrospect. We get so involved in the nitty-gritty of the daily soap of our life that we forget to look at our life in 70 mm format. The big picture, as they say, eludes us for not lack of our long-term vision but because we refuse to look at it squarely even when it's up so close.
We are too busy looking down at the map on our lap while we miss the big bold signs that pass us by on the expressway of our life.
Sometimes a few solitary moments do help to look at our life more objectively. One doesn't always have to read a Paulo Coelho or Rhonda Byrne's book or watch the likes of Robin Sharma or Deepak Chopra's or even TED videos on YouTube to know what life is all about. Sometimes (I would say, most times) the greatest insights happen from within and yes, at unexpected times.

True, the self-help books are great, and I do read them too, for inspiration and direction. But all said and done, if you ask me, how many times have I found a 'new & improved' me after reading an inspirational book? My answer will be zilch.
In Marathi language (my mother tongue) we have a saying 'Kaltay, pan valat nahi', which means, 'We know what's right for us, but, we still don't change our attitude, or take an initiative/ necessary action.' That is exactly what happens with most of us (I will say, my ilk).
Unless we put it in action (practice regularly), there will be no real learning, and we all know that very well.

Our inner voice, gut feeling or intuition whatever we may like to call it, provide the best insights when we are least looking for it. So today when I was enjoying the rare luxury of quietness around the house with no TV, music, laptop or a book in my lap....and just looking out of the window into nothingness....there it was! It was such an 'Aha' moment. It felt like the gray clouds had disappeared suddenly into nothingness, the sun had decided to peep out shining bright on the stage of my life ahead. It was as if I was sitting by the window watching the play unfold, one act at a time. It was a sudden realization, a meaningful thought which I felt like penning down. And so here it is!

The name of this blog post -My Life. My project!
So let me begin with putting down the definition of  the word 'Project':
A
project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result, with a defined beginning and end, and therefore defined scope and resources.
For example, a project could be as simple as organizing a birthday party or relocating from one city to another or planning a holiday. Or it could be a slightly more challenging project like a wedding in the family or launching a new product in a company. Even more critical project example would be building an airport, acquisition of a business or launching a rocket in space. In essence, all these are projects.

I am stretching this now even further and calling my life, my project.
·       Is it temporary - Yes! (Life is indeed brief whether it’s for months, years or decades, we are all going to leave mother earth one day)
  • Does it have a beginning and end – Yes, of course! 
  • Is it Time-constrained - Yes, again and who knows it better than us human beings
  • Is it constrained by funding or resources – Yes! (Most of us never seem to have enough money or we are never satisfied even when we have enough)
  • Are we trying to meet unique goals and objectives - Each of us is born with a unique purpose which we need to discover on our own. Some find it early, some late, some just don't get it while others have yet to start looking.
  • Do we create a unique product, service or result - Most of us would like to create something unique, of great value, or bring about some positive change in our lives as well as of those around us.

All these similarities  establishes my point as to why I am going to treat my life as a project henceforth and try to manage it like smart, disciplined and efficient project leaders do.

But of course, thanks to all the self-help books I have read in the past, I can't but help include some learnings here which are also part of me and my sub-conscious mind.

'Life' as a Project and Thirteen lessons I must remember to effectively manage it.

Lesson 1
- Begin with end in mind
What would I like my epitaph to read? Or 'Who will cry when I die? (lines inspired by Stephen Covey's book '7 Habits of Highly Effective People' and Robin Sharma's book by the same name, respectively). These will totally decide how I want to lead my life or which direction I want to follow. It brings a lot of clarity, provides a purpose and guidance on how I should lead my life going forward.

Lesson 2
- Plan the work, work the plan
Not carry forward 'Things to do' points for the next day or next week. Try to finish the tasks same day, week or same month as planned.

Lesson 3
- Have Plan B or even Plan C
We all are aware and have many times experienced the familiar phenomena of 'Man proposes, God disposes'. It’s always good to be ready with a backup plan/s for a 'What if?' scenario. And thus, avoid disappointments if the original plan fails.

Lesson 4
- Create smaller milestones
For long and complicated initiatives, break it down into smaller tasks for easy follow ups and to measure if the planned activities are on schedule. Take corrective action in case they are not. It is important to keep measurable milestones to keep track of the speed, quality and direction in which the initiatives are heading.

Lesson 5
- Put First things first (another one inspired from '7 Habits...')
Resources are always limited, whether time, money or energy.
So use it effectively for tasks which are of high priority and that have a maximum positive impact and not get lost in smaller, inconsequential activities.

Lesson 6
- Create win-win situations for all project stakeholders. In my life, the relevant stakeholders are my hubby, family members, office colleagues, friends, neighbors in the immediate environment and community as a whole. Here transparency and clear communication become vital to ensure that all are on the same page regards issues concerning me and them.
So also, empathy, understanding and respect, as we are not just dealing with professional entities but with personal stakeholders as well.
We all have heard of projects getting stalled because the stakeholders were not happy or disapproved of it. Hence, always involve interested parties in the decision-making process, listen to their voices, get their buy-in and then move forward in a direction which is most suitable for all and importantly the end objective. Not always does everyone have the same viewpoint. But at the same time it is important to maintain healthy relationships with important stakeholders. We need to understand how to strike the right balance.

Lesson 7
- No Failure, Only Feedback
Another of my favorite is that Failure is only Feedback, so accept failure as a learning and not a setback. But try not to make the same mistake again to get a better or satisfactory result in future.
Also, there will always be situations where we don't get the expectant result, but we should take comfort that we, at least, tried hard and not feel disheartened. The only things in our hand are how we respond to the result so if things don’t go as planned,  immediately get back on track as there are many other things to do. No point in moping over, what has happened in the past and can’t be corrected.

Lesson 8
 - Keep learning and keep mind fresh, alert and active
Whether it's a new hobby, interest, new courses to stay updated or any creative pursuits, one must upgrade skills always. Or even travel to a new destination every year (or even 6 months) because to travel is to take a journey into our self.

Lesson 9
- Besides mental fitness it is also important to being physically fit as this journey or project called life sometimes takes many years (thankfully!) to complete and we have to withstand many storms and weathers on the way. Whether it’s a long walk or a yoga session (which I prefer) or hitting the gym, running or dancing which others may prefer, need to keep aside an hour every day for physical fitness.

Lesson 10
- Laughter is the best medicine
Always, always, always keep humor intact. Many studies have proven the health benefits of a good laugh, so I promise myself not to lose it. Even in tough times, I will try to see the lighter side.
The crisis of today is the joke of tomorrow, a very famous quote by H G Wells sums it up so well. Tough to follow but not impossible.

Lesson 11
- Integrity
While we go about dealing with life’s ups and downs, it is imperative to do it with integrity and honesty. As no matter how successful one becomes in life, what is more important is the journey (how we reached?) rather than the destination itself. Nothing is more important than being true to yourself and others.

Lesson 12
-Total responsibility
I am solely responsible for my life as it’s project manager. I will not blame destiny, or luck, or anyone else for how my life turns out. Whether failure or success or any status quo, it is completely my responsibility. I am also totally responsible for the responses and actions I take in my life,  as eventually it’s my choice.

Lesson 13
-Focus
Whatever I do, I will do it with complete focus.
If I am with someone, I will only be focused on that conversation fully. If I am reading a book/newspaper, it will only be the book and me, not turning pages when I am having breakfast or lunch. When I am on phone with my parents, my attention will only be focused on them and not on the keyboard as I am typing on the laptop.When I am in meetings, I will not get distracted by the constant beeping on the cell phone. 
I have realized over a period of time that nothing gives me more joy than being completely immersed in that moment. And truly, how simple and basic is that to follow!

These are the 13 lessons I plan to imbibe going forward and keep coming back to (till they become internalized), for managing My Life, My Project!

No comments: