Saturday, March 22, 2014

A giant lollypop or a sweet nothing!

Some days back on my way to work, I happened to notice the Lollypop hoardings skirting the Western Express Highway (WEH) on a very short stretch. It was FedEx advertising on them all through.

As I tried to recollect my last memory of these hoardings, I wondered "Had they had become a blind spot to a Mumbaikar like me who travels up and down the WEH twice every weekday?" What with  with our head immersed in our mobile phones, it was quite believable as we don't have time to look out the car window.

For those who have not seen them, Lollypop hoardings are concrete structures literally the shape of what else but a lollypop. They are used for advertising on the flat surface on either side of it's face (see pic below). They came up in the 80's ( I think) and have been their ever since. And mind you, in recessionary times and even beyond we had seen only variety of bird images instead of any advertisements for a very long time.
I thought that as the media trends changed, even these lollypops would have gradually receded into oblivion. But after having seen them yesterday still 'alive and in complete form' with FedEx campaign running on it, it made me immediately infer. If there is one media vehicle which has bravely survived the onslaught of dynamic hoardings and even the fairly young social media, are truly these Lollypop Hoardings - standing tall on the fringe of Western Express Highway near the Mumbai Domestic Airport area. They truly deserve to be the hero of the movie 'Die Hard- Part 6', if ever there is one made.

However, what really amplified my curiosity was, why were the advertisers still using this medium?
What was attracting them to use these hoardings?? Was it the uniqueness of these lollypop hoardings, their few numbers, low advertising rates, the location of these hoardings or the sheer old world charm that the advertisers saw in this format? Now, that's something I am really curious to know. If you happen to have some insights on this medium, do let me know.
A giant lollypop for your thoughts!



No comments: